Perched on a rock, this was a prosperous town in the 17th and 18th centuries thanks to its linen industry. Encircled by protective ramparts and towers (13th century); an important centre during the 'Chouannerie' civil uprising (museum). Timber-framed houses, granite private mansions; church of Saint-Mathurin, with decorative influences from both Italy and Belgium.
Medieval festival the first weekend in August, every other year (odd numbers).
Guided tours in July and August.
Visitors can follow the heritage trail to learn about the town if they prefer.
Already awarded the Small Town of Character label, Moncontour has equally been designated one of the 'Most beautiful villages of France'.
- Nom de l'offre : Petite Cité de Caractère de Moncontour, Cité Médiévale
- Page d'accueil : non
- Listed or registered (CNMHS), Picturesque small city, Most beautiful French villages
- Descriptif groupes : Petite Cité de Caractère ceinte de remparts, perchée en haut de son rocher et délivrant des dédales de petites rues au riche patrimoine : Théâtre du costume, maisons à pans de bois...
- Historical sites and monuments
- Ruins and remains, House, Town, Ramparts, Tower